Author Topic: Battle of Moscow  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Recon

• View Profile
Re: Battle of Moscow
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 07:52:28 am »
Another $80 - wow.

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 10:47:34 am »
I'm not going to pre-order this but I will buy it when it comes out and is on sale.

I have supported IL2, ROF, DCS, IL2-Cod, IL2-BoS and will support IL2-BoM because I think that is what you have to do to keep the genre alive.  $80 seems like a lot, well that's $100 to me as I found out every time I used my credit card on my recent trip south.   I have a copy of Forgotten Battles battles from 12 years ago that cost me $60 so the price charged for BoM doesn't seem that far out of line.

I have never bought a combat flight sim that I was 100% happy with and I doubt I ever will so until I develop my own I guess that is what I have to put up with.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Taipan

• Commanding Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 10:51:06 am »
Well said Scorp!

Sink your teeth in...Let go only when dead.

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 01:49:54 pm »
Just seems the first go at this BoS for it's price was a dud, so throwing another $80 for more of that seems a bit too much.

Keep in mind I don't mind paying $80 for a great game, but so far, it seems the series is poorly done ?. 

At this point, after pre-ordering premium BoS, and doing DCS WW2, I'm learly of dumping money into a series until it shows it's worth the money.

Guess the only question I ask is : are AKA pilots regularly online flying BoS ?  If so, I'll fly it, but I haven't heard much about it.

About the only thing of interest in BoM would be the P40 - with CoD hinting at P40, it sweetens the pot  :) 

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 02:44:41 pm »
I have never bought a combat flight sim that I was 100% happy with and I doubt I ever will so until I develop my own I guess that is what I have to put up with.

I hear you Scorp.  So when is your sim coming out?   :)

I am not trying to bash 777, I am just a little bit skeptical of their business model.  I will most likely get it at some point, just not in the near future.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 10:25:55 pm »
I just want to make my position clear, I am not saying I will not buy BOS/BOM, I am just waiting to see if they can bring the game up to a level where I feel it should be; No grinding for anything, at least the ability for 90 players on for multiplayer, the ability to make a dynamic campaign with it and have enough ground units on the map during a mission to make it fun and a few other things that need to get fixed.

IMO right now COD has the most potential and I think the Team Fusion patch 5.0 will make COD the benchmark WWII sim with 777 trying to figure out how they can compete with a game that is $9.99 on Steam..

MattE

sorry, I didn't mean you were endorsing anything over another... just you are right...

No Worries Ram, that Post was not aimed at you.  There has been a lot of Bashing going on in other forums both of BOS and COD (people who are BOS fans posting bad reviews of COD just out of spite) and I dont want to be seen as bashing BOS/BOM so I wanted to make it clear that I would consider buying BOS/BOM in the Future if certain things were ironed out (and I get the feeling they are trying to get there).

So how are the FM's?  Fiveiron already says he likes them, what are your opinions Scorp, Jer?  If there is one complaint that I see from some well know virtual pilots is that the FM's are really not that great but I would put more stock in your opinions.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 10:30:27 am »
Not having every flown in a WWII fighter I can only compare the flight models to other sims in in particular CoD.

In the air I would say the flight models are comparable to CoD which IMO is probably about right. 

You don't have all the clickable buttons that CoD has but then I don't use them in CoD so it doesn't really effect me.  These were something I thought was neat when I first tried CoD but but that quickly turned into a pain when I used them in flight.

Ground handling is much tougher (touchy) than in CoD, ground looping happens all the time.  IMO it is over modeled in BoS and under modeled in CoD.

Engine management is comparable to CoD.  I like the GUI warning in BoS about overheating and engine damage, they give you a chance to change something than might save your engine.  While purists might say this is unrealistic and you should just watch your gauges  there is a lot of feedback a real pilot would get that isn't possible in a sim including just looking a gauge it is much easier in real life than in a sim.

Another thing I like is the level flight button, completely unrealistic except that I bet a real pilot finds it much easier to trim a real AC than we do in a sim.  It makes figuring out were you are etc without having to worry about turning into a lawn dart.

AKA_Scorp

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 04:55:04 am »
I should fire up Battle of Stalingrad again to see how it's come along.

The one appeal of this series is that they are able to produce content fairly quickly.

How they released the game has pros and cons - one, you get hands on right away, etc... but the bad is it can cause bad first impressions.

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 05:25:45 am »
Based on what I read, not many people fly online.  I saw numbers from a dev that said 4k-7k play the game, but only 30-60 play online.   

I'm curious if there is a good coop mode though - would be fun to fly some coop missions together.

Offline HellCat (Sully)

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 05:14:57 am »
I have a $100 into it ....doubt I'll go another $80 at this point  :-\
Cougar PS 700W l i5-7600K @ 4.7 l 16GB DDR4 2400 Ram l 500GB Corsair SSD & addlink SSD 512GB l GTX1080 WINDFORCE 3X OC l Win7 64 bit