Author Topic: Will anyone join me in flying IL-2 BOS/BOM?  (Read 1823 times)

Offline AKA_FiveIron

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
Will anyone join me in flying IL-2 BOS/BOM?
« on: August 08, 2015, 07:23:50 am »
I would like to fly this more than I do and I looking for other AKA to fly with. I have Stalingrad Premium and Moscow Premium on order. You can find me on steam search for FiveIron and friend me, or post in here or PM me.  My availability is strange to say the least as my work hours change every week. Currently my only consistent time is Saturday evening after about 9:30pm eastern.

Recon had a spot on analysis of the current flight sims.

"Here is my overall flight sim view at the moment Ram - as I think I see you asking about each sim in each forum:

1. DCS needs Edge and needs more content - which I believe when Edge comes out the content will follow.  Has a ton of potential just needs to be more than an aircraft study sim.  IMO still has the highest potential.
2. COD - version 5.0 will be like a new game, new map, new aircraft, etc... anticipated release is later next year - built by hobbyist but pretty good!   Still can play with 100 people on a server.  Only current negative is just lack of variety - but mission creators like 401 and Storm of War are doing a fantastic job with it!  Has more of the 'large online battle' capabilities.
3. BOS series - questionable engine - for example, I don't think it handles very many pilots playing on a server - which is disappointing for a new sim.  The positive is they are creating new aircraft and new content.  Our own squadron hasn't bitten on this one, so it's hard to say - I think if others flew it, I would.   Rise of Flight was similar in nature, it reminds me a bit of the original IL2 - back then you had smaller more tactical mission setups vs. massive online wars

AKA - we are spread out across several sims, and having this choice is nice, as we are all flight sim enthusiasts  - the negative is we aren't really a group that all flies together, more like pockets of pilots doing one or the other sim, a few try multiple games.  We don't fall under the 'strength in numbers' category - more of the 'choice and diversity rules' motto  :)     I can't imagine what AKA would be like if we actually all flew together, I think we'd be a force to be reckoned with.  Personally I wish it was different, but I understand people want choices each member has different interests and preferences!  Each group that does fly together is very dedicated to their sim and the pilots that fly it.

I think flight sim is at a cross roads - we have old standards like IL2.   This has really dropped off in numbers.  We have more modern sims like COD, DCS, BOS - each has it's pro and cons."

I do not intend to have a discussion of whether or not IL-2 BOS sucks, it may and it may die out - I don't know... but please do not respond with how much you hate it. I would like to fly it and I am hoping some other AKA will join me as well.

All the best.

FiveIron

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Will anyone join me in flying IL-2 BOS/BOM?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 11:12:12 am »
I fly BoS irregularly so I doubt I will be able to join up with you on Saturday evenings.

Just out of interest I checked in on BoS, CoD and DCS this morning (Saturday 10:20 PST) to see how many people are online.  DCS and BoS were close each with a server with 40+ and and server with 10+, CoD had a server with 16 and another with 13.  The maximum server size for for DCS and BoS was 64 for CoD it was 100.

From my point of view I would say that the majority of AKA pilots like to fly a variety of AC on a variety of maps and they like the AC and the maps to simulate a period of time during WWII.  I think that this is why IL2-1946 is still the sim that most AKA pilots prefer to fly.

I believe IL-2 will never be replicated as it is not financially viable to create a modern sim with so many maps and AC. 

CoD does a good job of 1940 Western Europe and should eventually have one more map/period but depending on volunteers to do the work I don't think it can progress much more than that. 

BoS has a lot invested in the Eastern front and I believe any add on will be be set in that theater, in a way how IL-2 was when it first came out.  If BoS/BoM keeps making money we might expect something new every few years.

IMO the people at DCS are happy to keep selling an odd assortment of AC that don't fit together as long as people buy them.  Arguably DCS is the best simulator unfortunately nobody there seems to have a vision of what made IL-2 such a success.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_FiveIron

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 11:27:02 am »
Scorp, I added you as a friend on Steam. If you see me flying and want to join up shoot me a steam message. I am online at all different times.. unfortunately.

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 11:33:15 am »
I am still in a wait and see with BOS/BOM.  To be honest I was very surprised with the grinding added at the last minute, I felt it was very deceptive of the developer.  I know it has been change where you can pay for the premium account and not have to grind to unlock things, which I am fine with, but it just has me sitting on the fence (not to mention I have been putting time into DCS and it is summer so I don't fly as much).

I will get BOS/BOM at some point but it is not fitting into the schedule right now.

A note about COD server population; COD servers are not very populated in the mornings but in the afternoon/early evening is when it picks up, 1pm to 6pm EST (there are 47 pilots now) you will see a the most pilots and on a good day you can have 200+ pilots spread out over the servers.  COD has the most online participation when it comes to WWII aircarft.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 01:05:48 pm »
FiveIron - I play some of the single player - doing a campaign right now.

I don't feel quite ready to play online with it yet

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 02:10:28 pm »
Played some today - I think it's made good progress

One thing I like about it that is a carry over from ROF is the level bombing, I like how it's accessible for those that don't need to be experts to figure out

Just flew a few Pe2 campaign missions :)

Clouds are looking realistic

Offline AKA_FiveIron

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 02:53:32 pm »
I just converted the game to play through steam it was a painless process. Now I am working on flying and not bring up my engine!

Seems to handle better when on the ground, that was a big complaint of mine early on.

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 09:03:18 am »
Do you have the instructions for that - and curious - what was the main reason to do that (I ask because I did opposite with DCS, I went away from Steam).

I've been playing some offline and really starting to enjoy this game - would you like to setup a time to meet and fly ?

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 10:18:12 am »
I am not against using steam but only use it when I have to so I have CoD on Steam but BoS and DCS without it.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Ramstein

• "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 11:01:50 am »
we hope to see you guys in DCS, it is very nice, even in the early WWII stages.. but the whole thing is very, very good! please give it a go ! Topgun and Rel put lots of work into it, also Clutter... all do!  ;)

ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
Intel i53570K 3.40 GHZ
G.Skill DDR4 ram 16 GB
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Video Graphics
WD Black WD1002FAAEX 1TB
46" Samsung HDTV
Win10 pro x64
Silicon Power 240GB M55 M.2 2280 SSD
Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, CH Pedals
CM HAF 922 pc case

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 12:32:34 pm »
Can anyone see contacts in DCS  without using icon?  I sure as hell can't.
AKA_Scorp

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 04:50:22 pm »
Yep - waiting for DCS to be playable :)

In all seriousness I'm waiting for Edge - it supposedly will improve visibility

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 03:55:28 pm »
FiveIron, apart from Saturday do you have a time you fly BOS on a somewhat regular basis?  I have been flying the Wings Of Liberty server a little and it is not bad.  BOS is my third string sim so finding time for it is not easy but I will look for you when I do fly it.

MattE

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:57:36 pm by AKA_MattE »

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 04:47:50 pm »
Actually on second thought I am going to shelve BOS. I played for several hours today and the FM's are lame.   The VVS planes can run down the German ones and there is no blackouts so maneuvers that would not even come close to possible are common not to mention if you get hit it almost always is serious.

This game is made for the Russians and I don't think they care about the accuracy, I am Starting to think I wasted $40

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 05:39:16 pm »
yeah, after playing CloD and DCS it's hard to play it now