Author Topic: Squad Night  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Recon

• View Profile
Squad Night
« on: November 06, 2015, 09:36:30 am »
Anyone interested in setting up a squad night for BOS that doesn't conflict with our other nights

Offline AKA_Goshawk

• Executive Officer
  • Administrator
  • "Death from above"
    • View Profile
    • Goshawk's Nest
Re: Squad Night
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 07:15:23 pm »
Wow, no replies?? I'm game when I have time. If you find you are playing it on a particular night, online, and at some other TS server, post the information here so others can find you on that night if they are available.

Gos

"Death from above"

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 07:36:30 pm »
I don't have BoS or BoM yet :)

Offline AKA_Wiley

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 08:26:01 pm »
 S! I would be interested to give BOS a try as I see it is on sale again I would like give the german birds a go,I would also like to fly the P40, since its reasonably priced right now I may pick it up in the next couple of days, I am very bored with no SOW to fly and even with that its still only busy on the weekends most weeknight NA time zones are very slow,ATAG is terribly boring with few to no AKAers ..... I surely wish AKA would get out of the stone age(IL21946)I just dont see the draw of IL246 I left that sim over 2 years ago after flying IL2 for over 13 years we had already flown every possible scenario many times over so there is nothing new to do with it just reflying wars that we had already done many times over, now with such limited opposition left flying IL246 AKA squad flys itself to continue..... If AKA would only make the switch to current flight sims at least there would be enough AKA pilots to make things Fun in SOW during the weeknights, we would be a dangerous major force during the SOW Weekend Special Events if we could muster our entire squad,really its a damn shame that we cant do this :-\ as it is every bit as exciting as the old FS Wars were in there prime time, flying with and against some of the best sim pilots the flight sim world has to offer.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 10:20:49 am by AKA_Wiley »

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 09:57:57 am »
Maybe we should do BoS/M on Tuesdays, that way it won't interfere with anything thing else the non IL2(1946) are doing.  I mostly fly Russian but will fly whatever side the squad is flying.  I usually fly "Wings of Liberty" server, there were 40 people on it last night, this morning there were over 70.

With BoS on sale it is a good time to pick it up, I am going to wait until BoM comes on sale before I get it even though the I-16 and P-40 are very tempting.

Not sure what the difference is, or if I am imagining it, but the aircraft seem more stable after the last update

PS Just as a warning, I find AC without a lockable tail wheel very difficult (almost impossible) to taxi without ground looping.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 11:21:03 am by AKA_Scorp »
AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Wiley

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 10:37:50 am »
S! I would fly Russian AC if that's what the Squad wants to fly, anything to get us back together flying as a group and flying current flight sims,hows the yak stack up?as that would prob be the ac I would go with flying Russian,and when BOM comes out the P40 of course even if its not a top performer.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 10:41:07 am by AKA_Wiley »

Offline AKA_Scorp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 11:20:40 am »
IMO the Yak is the best Russian fighter, it has a lockable tail wheel that makes it easier to taxi and once in the air is comparable to the 109's.  It can carry bombs and rockets but "Wings of Liberty" usually limit the Yak to guns.

I don't have the P40 so I don't know how it handles but I have seen people flying them and it does look cool.

AKA_Scorp

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 11:36:51 am »
I'll check it out, based on some of the posts here about the FM plus the price I hadn't moved much on BoS or BoM.  If it's a decent deal I may bite :)

Wow lots of anti-IL2/46 sentiment lately :).  I hear you Wiley and Recon, I also have DCS, CloD, RoF, although I admit I've probably spent more time on IL2/46 - but much of that is due to the time it takes to set up these campaigns and administer them;  I guess I'm more vested in the sim still.  Part of the blame must go to Scorp! :D. He developed such a damned good campaign generator framework that it's helped IL2/46 go on ;).  All hail Scorp! :)

But seriously, I'm only continuing to create IL2/46 campaigns as long as there's still interest.  Once the interest goes away due to most of the remaining squad members migrating to another more modern sim I'll stop!

I enjoy DCS, CloD and RoF, but what interests me is a campaign environment.  The Storm of War campaign was fun at times, but the lack of AI and human enemy activity really made it boring.  I wanted to have fun, but flying for an hour or more with no enemy activity was not much fun.  It was great to fly with some of the AKA that I haven't flown with regularly for a while, but if it's constantly just flying formation it's not as enjoyable as going into combat with them/you!

Scorp, any plans on creating another campaign generator framework for any other sims? :). I'm your number one fan ;)

I'll checkout the sales and see what's worth getting :)

S! Rel

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 01:33:22 pm »
OK I bit :).  Half price is good - I got BoS premium with the 10 planes, how much hard drive space does it take up?  I want to put it on my 128GB SSD but I only have about ~30GB free as I still have DCS 1.2 and 1.5...  Hoping I can squeeze it in without removing DCS 1.2 since 1.5 isn't still final.   

S! Rel

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 01:57:03 pm »
Maybe we should do BoS/M on Tuesdays, that way it won't interfere with anything thing else the non IL2(1946) are doing. 

I was hoping we would use DCS for our a Tuesday Squad night sim.  I figured it has the broadest time frame so will have a broad appeal.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 05:30:20 pm »
Well Rel - I think Wiley said it well.

Everyone has moved on people aren't playing il2 like before.  It's to the point we do squad vs squad.

I've been considering leaving AKA because of it.  I remember when guys were talking about how people were stuck in old sims back when we flew IL2 as 609.  Well 15 (?) years later and it's the same deal.

I watch groups like 71st as NA squadron and they are online comms flying SOW, BOS, DCS and even ROF (which is also fun) - and our group has 10+ guys flying 1946 two nights a week?

As Wiley says - imagine if we were AKA strong all flying together vs fighting among ourselves.

So that said - BOS is on sale - BOM is new and $$$ - I'm like Scorp - I'll keep flying BOS for now even though I also want the p40 (which is not that great though) and Mig (which I hear is quite good) and when BOM goes on sale I'll buy it (unless our squad becomes active then I'd buy it).

Matte - DCS still feels very 'study sim' to me - no context really.  I do like the Sabre but without a context to fly this in its just dogfighting.  (I also find this to be the most complex sim with jets so it's not as easy to get started with it)

But yes I feel quite divided of late and honestly it's contributed to me not being as active lately - I had more fun doing some offline BOS missions and I re downloaded ROF because I heard 71st was going to do the channel map and it sounded like fun.

My desire: our squadron taking on others on servers working as a team and me getting to fly wing with some of our good leaders here.  Name the best game right now to do that with and I'll be flying it...

Offline AKA_Relent

• Training Officer
  • Administrator
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 05:58:58 pm »
In some ways I think the problem may be too many choices after IL2/46 :).    You'll have to hear from individual pilots as to why they still fly IL2/46.  I still like the variety of aircraft, maps, theaters, etc. it offers, plus as mentioned Scorp's great campaign framework, but I also like the other sims that have come out since.  Part of my problem was that my video card (GTX 560ti 1/Gb) didn't play CloD very crisply, I had to tone down the graphics, same with DCS and RoF.  With the GTX 970 4/Gb I can crank it up a bit and finally enjoy these newer sims with some eye candy and smooth game play.

Don't give up Recon, with the prices of sims going down with these sales, it's more affordable for those on the fence. :).  Actually I gave BoS a spin, and it feels pretty decent.  Just flew the LaGG3 around in quick missions just to get the feel.  I need to spend some time figuring out all of the key mapping, etc, but I like it so far.  Definitely has a fresh feel to it, the sounds are really good (e.g. the MG and cannon firing sounds are great, very authentic, for example).

Just not enough days of the week for all these sims :)..

As mentioned, it's on sale, check it out:  http://il2sturmovik.com/   $40 for the BoS premium with the 10 flyable - $4 per aircraft when you break it down, sort of like RoF's model (which they are using of course), and a decent price to jump in.
S! Rel
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:01:06 pm by AKA_Relent »

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 06:36:21 pm »
.  With the GTX 970 4/Gb I can crank it up a bit and finally enjoy these newer sims with some eye candy and smooth game play.

Up a Bit? that 970 should cook with COD and DCS, both are heavy VRAM users and that 4GB will make a big difference.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_MattE

• AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 06:50:24 pm »
Matte - DCS still feels very 'study sim' to me - no context really.  I do like the Sabre but without a context to fly this in its just dogfighting.  (I also find this to be the most complex sim with jets so it's not as easy to get started with it)

I would say DCS (world) is a Study sim, but with usable and real weapon systems.   ATM only the modern stuff has the matching ground units and map(s), but I truly think that Eagle Dynamics and their third party vendors will make content for the aircraft that they have.  As I mentioned they are concentrated on making 2.0 official, once that is done they will switch resources to more content.

MattE

Certified DCS Aircraft

Offline AKA_Wiley

• AKA_Wardogs
  • AKA_Wardogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 11:12:24 am »
S! I bit the bullet as well and bought the premium BOS just got it all installed but haven't tried it yet,i don't mean to sound harsh but as current flight sim enthusiasts either you move forward with technology or you get left behind as we all know,we need to stay current or else we as a squad will just splinter apart and be part of a squadron in name only which is no good for us as most of us now have been flying together for at least 15 years I would hate to see that fall apart as you guys are more than "just friends" I would be willing to bet our wives know most of the squadrons pilots names by heart lol:)